The National Weather Service has issued a Coastal Flood Warning for the Jersey Shore for Monday, April 16thuntil 1:00pm. There is a chance of minor to moderate coastal flooding at time of high tide which occurs at the Townsend’s Inlet Bridge between Avalon and Sea Isle City at 8:59am today.
An approaching front will bring heavy rain, strong winds, and the potential for thunderstorms this morning. This could exacerbate this morning’s high tide. Never attempt to drive on any street that is flooded. If you have any emergency, dial 911.
Here is the text of the Coastal Flood Warning issued by the National Weather Service:
Coastal Flood Warning
Coastal Hazard Message National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ 549 AM EDT Mon Apr 16 2018
Cumberland-Atlantic-Cape May-Atlantic Coastal Cape May- Coastal Atlantic-Southeastern Burlington- 549 AM EDT Mon Apr 16 2018
…COASTAL FLOOD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON… The National Weather Service in Mount Holly has issued a Coastal Flood Warning, which is in effect until 1 PM EDT this afternoon. The Coastal Flood Advisory is no longer in effect.
* LOCATIONS…Coastal areas of Southern New Jersey and Delaware Bay.
* COASTAL FLOODING…Minor to moderate flooding around the time of high tide this morning.
* TIMING…High tide on the New Jersey oceanfront occurs between 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM this morning. High tide on the back bays occurs later than the high tide on the oceanfront.
* SURGE…2 to 3 feet above the astronomical tide.
* WAVES…7 to 12 feet on the Atlantic coastal waters, and 3 to 5 feet on Delaware Bay.
* IMPACTS…Roadway flooding is expected and some roads may be closed due to high water. In addition, heavy rain could further exacerbate impacts.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… A Coastal Flood Warning means that flooding is occurring or imminent. Coastal residents in the warned area should be alert for rising water…and take appropriate action to protect life and property. Do not drive your vehicle through flood waters. The water may be deeper than you think it is. You will be putting yourself in danger and your vehicle may be damaged…leading to costly repairs.